Thursday, January 18, 2018

#1- Personal Video Habits

Personal Video Habits

When it comes to my personal video habits, I would have to say that mine involve a mixture of streaming services, TV, and YouTube. I have to admit that I probably spend a bit too much time online (especially when I'm supposed to be doing an assignment- just like this one), and most of the content I consume deals with a variety of videos.

Television

Currently, in my dorm at SAU, I don't have a TV at all. I probably will not get one for my room because I choose to leave my decently sized flat-screen TV at home so I don't have to move it from here to there. I go home sometimes on the weekends and definitely during semester breaks.

When I am at home, I have no shame in saying that I leave my TV on pretty much all day (I know, I know, it's not that great for the electricity bill). I usually leave the volume on low because I'm not a big fan of a too silent room. Just having the TV softly playing in the background helps me to feel more comfortable. When it comes to the type of channels that I play on my TV,  I  have no shame in saying that I sometimes leave it on the Disney Channel. Other channels I like to leave my TV on are TLC, Food Network, FreeForm, and HGTV. I genuinely do like shows that are air on these networks (I'm a sucker for home improvement shows and all the weird ones that come on TLC). When I used to live primarily at home, I would always keep the TV on then occasionally would watch shows here and there. I also had TV shows that I would tune into every week (mostly teen shows like Pretty Little Liars and The 100). Now that I'm at college, I keep up with my shows through online streaming services.

Streaming

The three video streaming services that I use are Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. The Netflix account belongs to my parents, but I have my own profile on their Netflix where I can watch my own TV shows and movies. I only use their Netflix when I'm home though because I currently do not have their password. Same goes for Amazon Prime. My parents are the ones paying for that, and I only really get on it at home.

On the flipside, my Hulu account is my own. I currently have Spotify Premium, which I pay $5 a month for thanks to Spotify's college student discount (seriously, THANK YOU, Spotify). This year, Spotify started offering free Hulu subscriptions to college students who purchased the $5 a month Spotify subscription deal. I use Hulu on my laptop and on my phone. The deal is pretty decent if I do say so myself. You have to watch a few commercials (which aren't very long anyways) during TV shows, but movies are practically commercial free.

With streaming services comes binge-watching, which I do partake in from time to time. The last shows I binge-watched were Dark on Netflix and The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu. I highly recommended both of this shows if you're needing something to watch to pass the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zy0b9e40tK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJTonrzXTJs

I am usually always watching a new show and will watch a show from start to finish before moving on to another one, not matter how long it takes. I like to stay in one show's narrative and not switch around to other shows too much. Lately, my favorite types of shows have been sitcoms, but I do love a good drama every now and then (especially mystery/crime).

YouTube

Another avenue through which I watch videos is YouTube. Pretty much everyone already knows what YouTube is and the types of videos that it has available. The social platform has videos for all tastes- those interested in beauty or fitness or music or pranks or whatever tickles your fancy. For me, personally, I watch a lot of beauty related content, daily vloggers (and for some weird reason, family and mom vloggers), lifestyle, humor, and more. I would say that I spend about an hour or so on YouTube every day, usually in the morning when I'm relaxing and drinking my coffee or at night when I'm trying to wind down from a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#10- Wild Card

Imaginary Friend Society The Imaginary Friend Society is a series of films created by the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation to help ch...